(248) 644-7810

View our Service Area

Beware of Deadly Carbon Monoxide

Nov. 20, 2012

Carbon monoxide kills 500 Americans every year; is your family safe from this deadly gas?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless, and toxic gas. When inhaled, it replaces the oxygen in your body and accumulates rapidly in blood. Because it is impossible to see, taste, or smell the toxic fumes, CO can kill you before you are aware it is in your home. The effects of CO exposure can vary greatly from person to person depending on age, overall health, and the concentration and length of exposure.

Carbon monoxide is produced in every appliance that uses combustion, including gas or oil furnaces, gas clothes dryers, gas ovens, gas water heaters, wood burning stoves, and fireplaces.  Because of this, the danger of CO poisoning is present all year around, but is much more likely in the winter months.  According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, most CO poisoning deaths occur in January.

When combustion appliances are functioning correctly and proper ventilation is present, there is nothing to worry about.  The gas is harmlessly sent outside the home. To ensure proper conditions exist, have every combustion appliance checked annually.  A professional can ensure that they are not releasing carbon monoxide indoors. Chimneys should be inspected every year as well.

As a back-up to yearly maintenance, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends a CO alarm outside each sleeping area in every home.

At low levels of exposure, CO causes mild symptoms that can be mistaken for the flu but without any fever. Symptoms of CO poisoning include:

  • dizziness
  • headaches
  • nausea
  • fatigue

Severe CO poisoning will include vomiting, unconsciousness, brain damage, and eventually death.

If anyone in your home has these symptoms and you suspect CO poisoning:

  • Turn off all combustion appliances and get out of the house.
  • If you start to feel better with fresh air, see a doctor immediately and tell him or her that you suspect CO poisoning; they’ll do a blood test to confirm.
  • Contact a qualified professional to make all necessary repairs



Bookmark and Share
Looking for a career?
View Available Positions
Looking for a career?
View Available Positions

Contact Us

Thornton & Grooms
24565 Hallwood Ct
Farmington Hills, MI 48335
(248) 644-7810
Mon-Fri: 7am-7pm
Sat: 8am-4pm
Sun: Closed
24/7 for Emergency Service
MI Plumbing Lic. #: 8106666
MI Contractors Lic. #: 7100232
View service area

Follow us on our social networks for special updates and offers!

Hearts and Heroes

Hearts & Heroes

Help Thornton and Grooms Give Back to the Community With Your Vote! Cast your vote for your favorite charity to give them a chance at a $1000 donation from Thornton and Grooms.

Hearts and Heroes Past Winners ButtonHearts and Heroes Nominate Button