When it comes to your plumbing, disaster usually hits when you least expect it. Being prepared can help save you hundreds or possibly thousands in damage and repairs. If you have an emergency plumbing problem and don’t have a regular plumber who services your home, you may have a difficult time finding one quick.
Just imagine, a pipe bursts and water is flooding your home. You don’t have the time to shop around for a plumber. The water is already causing damage to flooring as well as structural damage and the excessive moisture can lead to unhealthy mold growth in your home.
Have a trusted plumber on speed dial!
Tips for finding the right plumber:
- Licensed. Many states require a license or state certification. Ask for this information upfront and check to see if there are any active complaints against the license.
- Insured. Ask for and obtain a copy of the company’s insurance information. Should an accident occur you, need to know that the plumber is covered by his/her own insurance and you won’t have to involve your own homeowner’s insurance.
- Emergency Service. Does the company offer 24/7 emergency service? Most incidents don’t happen between 9 to 5, Monday through Friday. You want to know that you’ll have help when you need it.
- Length of time in business. Look for a company that’s been in business for over 5 years (10+ is even better). This shows commitment and that they’re not just some fly-by-night company, whom you’ll be unable to contact if you need further assistance or follow-up work done.
- Organizations. Look for a company that is in good standing with organizations like the Better Business Bureau (BBB) & Angie’s List. Note complaints registered against the company and if they were resolved. Most companies will have some type of complaint against them if they’ve been in business for a long time; it’s how they resolve the matter that counts.
- References. Ask for and check references of past customers.
- Permits. Verify that if a permit(s) is needed, that they (plumbing company) will be responsible for getting the permit(s).
- Service guarantees. Ask about service guarantees. Will the company stand behind their work?
- Clean up. Do they have a policy on cleaning up after the work is done?
- Pricing. Always get everything in writing. Know before the work begins what your cost will be.
Thornton & Grooms has been helping homeowners since 1937. Put our number on speed dial -
(248) 430-0919- for all of your plumbing emergencies!