View our Service Area

The Gift of Peace of Mind This Holiday

Dec. 17, 2014
Most of us realize the necessity of the annual furnace system check…keep your energy bills as low as possible, catch small issues early, and of course, keep your family safe. Safety is one of our top priorities and can, often, be done, simply, through annual maintenance. Our technicians are specially trained in locating safety issues like heat exchanger cracks that can result in carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is an illness caused by exposure to too much carbon monoxide — a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas — too much carbon monoxide in the air you breathe can greatly diminish your ability to absorb oxygen, which can lead, in the worst cases to serious tissue damage and death, according to information from the Mayo Clinic. During the annual furnace system check, NATE certified technicians will check your carbon monoxide levels because any amount over time is too much.

Over time the heat exchanger on your furnace can develop cracks. The acidity in furnace gases will wear on the heat exchanger, which is normal. Also, the continuous heating and cooling of the unit will cause those pipes to expand and contract. This can eventually cause cracks as well. Because we know these things happen, it’s not a question of if, but when. That’s where your annual heating checks come in. Having a certified technician check these small crevices in your furnace (they have special tools for that) means they can often catch what the naked eye won’t.

Having a carbon monoxide detector in your home is a good idea. However, it does not replace the annual maintenance visit. Carbon Monoxide detectors are not 100% fool-proof. They may not always sound when there is CO in the home because they may not be working. Due to current United States regulations there is not a packaging standard for the detectors. Some carbon monoxide manufacturers' current packaging styles cause the detectors to be out of service or broken before they are opened. However, if your CO detector is sounding, that means it is working and should not be taken lightly. If you suspect a CO leak, leave your home immediately and contact someone who can confirm it. If you call the fire department they will be able to confirm if CO is present in your home but are not always equipped to diagnose the cause. Your local certified heating contractor can confirm CO is in your home and may be better equipped to locate the cause.

We can learn from a Livingston County resident who was found unconscious and later diagnosed with Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning just in mid-November according to the Livingston Daily Press & Argus. The CO poisoning likely came from a leak in the furnace unit and CO alarms could have provided an early warning to the home’s occupants.

Along with having your furnace checked annually, install a CO alarm on every level of the home and near sleeping areas. It is also important to be able to identify CO poisoning's flu-like and other symptoms: dull headache, vomiting, weakness, shortness of breath, dizziness, confusion, nausea, blurred vision, and loss of consciousness
Bookmark and Share
Looking for a career?
View Available Positions
Looking for a career?
View Available Positions

Contact Us

Thornton & Grooms
24565 Hallwood Ct
Farmington Hills, MI 48335
(248) 644-7810
MI Plumbing Lic. #: 8106666
MI Contractors Lic. #: 7100232
View service area

Follow us on our social networks for special updates and offers!

Hearts and Heroes

Hearts & Heroes

Help Thornton and Grooms Give Back to the Community With Your Vote! Cast your vote for your favorite charity to give them a chance at a $1000 donation from Thornton and Grooms.

Hearts and Heroes Past Winners ButtonHearts and Heroes Nominate Button Hearts and Heroes Past Winners Button